Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Women of Distinction Luncheon 2014

   Hooray! I finally have some time to update y'all on what I've been up to the past few weeks. One event deserves a post of its own: the 2014 Women of Distinction Luncheon. As many of you know, I was personally invited by Assemblywoman Solages to be the keynote speaker at her first annual Women of Distinction Luncheon in Valley Stream. As a youth advocate for the American Heart Association, I was more than happy to speak to the attendees about my journey with the AHA and how heart disease has affected both my family and my generation.
   With that being said, on March 23, I spoke to over 200 outstanding women and community members about my platform- Heart U. I shared with them how heart disease has directly affected my life (my grandfather suffered from an abdominal aortic aneurism in 2011, and heart disease runs in my family). But I also spoke about my generation and how we are predicted to be the first generation to not outlive our parents if we continue down the path towards unhealthy habits. Heart disease knows no bounds and affects everyone in multiple ways, shapes, and forms.
   As I finished speaking, I encouraged each and every person in the room to find a cause that they are passionate about. Whether it be the American Heart Association or a smaller cause, I urged everyone to take action, like I did with the AHA. The honorees at the luncheon (women who have done so much for their community in so many different ways) have done just that as well. It is when you find that cause that you care about that you can truly make a difference in your community.
  By the end of the luncheon, I had met so many inspirational people. I even spoke to a few girl scout troop leaders who wanted me to present the Heart U program to their troops. I was beyond ecstatic! Here are some photos from the event:


I absolutely love this picture of my mom and I at the luncheon!


A quick selfie never hurt anyone! I wore a red dress and a red dress pin to support the Go Red for Women campaign!


With Assemblywoman Solages after the luncheon. I'm so thankful for the opportunity she extended to me. I love being able to speak about my platform whenever I get the chance!

   I have so many fabulous people to thank for this opportunity. Firstly, to Assemblywoman Solages for trusting a sixteen year old to be the keynote speaker at her luncheon. She had only spoken to me for about ten minutes before asking me to speak at the event, and I am forever grateful that she had so much faith in me. Next, to Ms. Desdunes for providing me with so much information on the event beforehand. Lastly, thank you to all of the luncheon attendees. They lended me your ear for ten minutes so that I could speak to them about heart disease and its effect on the lives of so many. They allowed me to do something I love- speak about the causes that are near and dear to my heart.

XOXO,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    It is lovely to read your blog.

    Love & best wishes,
    Natalie Berghan Porter

    ReplyDelete