Friday, March 21, 2014

State Lobby Day 2014

  Happy Friday, y'all! This past few weeks has been filled with crazy busy endeavors, but I wouldn't have it any other way! On March 12, I was invited as a Youth Advocate to the American Heart Association New York State Lobby Day. That day, my dad graciously took off work to drive me to Albany to gather with multiple advocate at the New York State Capitol Building. All day my dad and I attended legislative meetings persuading lawmakers to support an increase in funding for smoking support and diabetes prevention programs.
   If that wasn't enough, I was extended an incredible offer by Assemblywoman Solages, herself! After speaking with the Assemblywoman, she invited me to her Women's Empowerment Luncheon. She was very impressed my my speaking skills (skills that I've acquired through the Miss America's Outstanding Teen program), she even asked me to be the guest speaker at the luncheon! It was an offer I couldn't refuse. I look forward to speaking about my involvement with the American Heart Association and how it has shaped me into the person I am today.
  Here are some pictures from the day:


Before heading off to our first legislative meeting of the day!


My dad and I couldn't resist taking a selfie!


My dad is awesome! I love him so much.


Post legislative meetings!

  By the end of the day, I learned a lot. First, Assemblywoman Solages is an incredibly amiable woman and it was such a pleasure getting to speak with her. I also learned that my dad rocks at persuading lawmakers... he's great at speaking to people! Shout out to him for taking off from work to take me to State Lobby Day. I love you, dad!

XOXO,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment